Thursday, March 19, 2009

How old is your sewing machine?

I was just wondering how old is the machine you all sew on? I have an Elna SU , I got it the xmas of 76 and have been using it ever sense. It was $700.00 and I thought my husband would bust a gut.....The kids clothes, wedding dresses, prom dresses, baby clothes, quilts, and too many to mention. I wish I'd logged every thing I did sew on it. O, even a cover of my son pickuptruck. 33 years on this one and it is going great Knock on Wood( my head). I took it apart a while back to see if it needed dusted or what inside. It was clean as a whistle. So I guess am doing something right with it...haha.

The thought of buying a new one scares the ---- out of me. All plastic and such.....I want a good solid metal one. Mine has a few whistles on it and it works just fine.

How about any one else.....Are you true to your machine??????

Let me know.

2 comments:

Nanette Merrill said...

Well I have a few. They were all bought in the very late 80s early 90s. They are still very good machines. Metal. I can't see getting a plastic case and paying 10k for the top of the line machine. Sure I'd like it but seriously - I am not in the income bracket to afford that! I also have a featherweight. I bought it recently and I'm not used to it yet but I need to use it to make friends. I take it to classes with me.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I have a new Bernina that I mostly use but I just got an old Singer. It's a 1957 Singer 15-125 and it's great for machine free hand quilting. I also have a 1953 Featherweight that sews perfect and some old toy sewing machines. I like the singer the best.